Pages

Sunday 18 December 2011

Drive.

This morning for breakfast I cooked this:


It was delicious in the way that sugar, cream, butter, bread, egg and a piece of fruit tastes in the guise of a breakfast. I used a loaf of Summer Kitchen organic sourdough Vienna which I though may have been too heavy, however, it worked perfectly. I found the recipe in this magazine ( p168) which I have never bought before - I was seduced by the front cover. I want to make our deck look like this:


Here's hoping. In case you don't have this magazine and you are tempted, the recipe for Banana and Caramel French Toast is:

1. Make caramel sauce (1/2 cup brown sugar, 50g unsalted butter, 300ml cream) by combining and stirring over medium heat until sugar dissolved. Then low heat until thickened (approx 15 mins).

2. Beat together 5 eggs, 1/2tsp cinnamon and 1/2 cup milk. Dip bread (ultimately 8 slices) into mixture then fry in buttery pan until each side cooked through and golden.

3. Plate up French toast and top with slices of banana (may have been even more delicious with grilled banana?) and drizzle with caramel.

Oops, I forgot to sprinkle with icing sugar yet does it really need it? This recipe says it is for four yet I reckon you could stretch it to serve six!

After breakfast we had a sugar induced frantic hour of weeding. I used the hoe to great advantage and got results.

Then it was time to take my new car for a spin. We drove for about an hour along the Midlands Highway to Oatlands - an interesting colonial township made predominently of sandstone, with of a lake, and this:



The Callington Mill. A restored amd fully operational Georgian tower mill which grinds locally grown, chemical free wheat into flour. You can take a tour with the miller and buy the flour in the visitor's centre. We bought a rather large bag and tested the scones in the cafe:



They were impressive - dense yet still light and a compelling colour. I hope when Mimi and I make scones with our recipe and the Callington Mill flour they have the same consistency and it's not attributed to some secret ingredient belonging to someone's great aunt.


Back to the hot room tomorrow - I'm a tad trepidatious as Thursday and especially Friday were confrontingly difficult.
R



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing your thoughts! Rx